Monday, May 27, 2013


First day at the school and first day of rain! Not what I expected at all. I first met with the principal and Tia Lucy, who I would be assisting. They were so nice and welcoming. Tia Lucy teaches English, but is still learning English herself so it was a challenge to communicate. We walked into her first class and saw students on the floor fighting and kicking each other, screaming students, things being thrown across the room, girls pulling each other’s hair; it was a mess. I couldn’t believe students were allowed to act this way. Though, Tia Lucy came in calmly and tried to get everyone settled down. It took a long time, but once books were passed out some order was made in the classroom. I pronounced their English vocabulary to the students and helped them with their worksheets for a while. Soon came break/play time and Tia Lucy and I were off to her next English class. This time they were older students and pretty well behaved. I did the same pronouncing their vocabulary and helping with worksheets and the students helped me with the vocabulary in Spanish! The time at the school went by quick, but I observed and learned a lot. Seeing how the children acted, I know in my classroom respect and discipline needs to be taught. This picture is of inside the school; the open outside area is the play area and the classrooms are all around in the shape of a square. The classrooms have very minimum in them and are dirty, cold, and are not inviting learning environments.

My Spanish is getting better and I am finding it is a lot easier to communicate with younger children than older. I had to use “sentarse” a lot today which means “sit down!” I will be working at the school Monday-Friday from 10:00-1:00 for the next two months! I am excited, but at the same time overwhelmed by the difference in education here compared to the United States. Please be in prayer for Tia Lucy and I; that we would get better at understanding and communicating with each other. Also, please pray God would give me patience when working with the children and their behavior. Miss everyone so much!!!

11 comments:

  1. Allison, I am in awe every time I read your blog. You have become this amazing Godly young woman, whom I am so proud to call my daughter. I am so glad today went well and look forward to hearing news from you on your blog. It is so much fun reading this. Have a great evening, love mom. PS...yes discipline and respect are very important when working with children:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God blessed me with an amazing godly woman for a mom. Thank you for being who you are and for teaching me how to glorify God with my life. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Hey Al! I love hearing how you are doing. Keep listening to God. His plans are ALWAYS bigger than we can even dream. Many walk through life maintaining the potential, but never giving everything to Him to see what that potential can become. Just follow where He leads. Where you are at now is only the beginning!

    When we were down there, "Once" was explained as an afternoon snack/light meal. I never heard that explanation for where the word came from, muy interesante! We figured they had it at that time because they ate supper/dinner so late! At least compared to how late we eat supper in the states!

    Praying for you!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Al! I realize I just posted last night, but while I was doing devotions with the girls this morning before school I read something that made me think of you. We do Jesus Calling each morning together and this morning talked about us being too tiny to comprehend His majestic vastness. Being in Santiago was one of those places in my life that I enjoyed His majestic vastness. Waking up every morning to those mountains ALL AROUND you. Just think of it as God's hands holding you.:0)

    Another cool thing is when you come back home to Iowa, you will appreciate His majestic vastness there, in a completely new way! It's beauty is everywhere, just different!

    Praying you feel/experience all of that today!
    Love you,
    Lyn

    (Dont know what you were able to bring down there with you, my email is lynlillestolen@gmail.com. email if you need anything!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so encouraging Lyn! Those are wonderful and comforting words. Love you! Thank you for your email. The only thing so far is I didn't pack warm enough clothes, so my mom is sending some by mail!!

      Delete
  4. Wow. Even more stretching. Keep your good attitude and trust that you are completely where God wants you to be. How cool that you can touch so many lives, and you will, each and every one you come into contact with. I'm so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I miss you so much Kelly!!! Thank you for everything and for being a godly role model! Love you!!

      Delete
  5. Hey Allison. It's.grandma Benson. Love you and.miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too!!!! Give grandpa a hug from me!

      Delete
  6. So thankful you are able to blog, Allison! Blessed to join all of these amazing women in prayer. Stay focused on Christ... then what the children & Tia Lucy & the girls at House of Hope will hear & see are His words & His actions. Not a moment will be wasted! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth thank you so much! I am so thankful I am able to stay in contact with everyone so easily! God is good! I love you!

      Delete