Thursday, June 13, 2013


“I caused a lot of trouble when I was little and went to a girl’s orphanage at the age of 7 in La Pintana. I grew up believing that once people turned 18 years old they were bad. I never wanted to turn 18. As long as I can remember, I wanted to kill my mother, my brother, and myself. For my 15th birthday when I was blowing my candles on my birthday cake out, I wished that my mother, brother, and myself would die. No one knew I wished that, only I did. I tried a lot to kill myself, but it never worked. Then my last year came at the orphanage and I went to a mandatory week-long church camp. It was very boring and every time Jesus was talked about I would say, “Oh yeah…that is great.” Then the last day came and it was like a light bulb came on. Jesus was there with me and I changed. I didn’t want to kill my mother, brother, or myself anymore. I asked Jesus into my heart. Then somehow before I was to leave the orphanage, someone told me I could go to the House of Hope. That is when I met Tio Tom and when I started living at the House of Hope. The House of Hope has helped me grow closer to Jesus and helped me have many opportunities.”
This is one of the girls’ testimony, at the House of Hope. She said I could share it with you and I wanted to share it exactly how she told me. She is one who I have gotten to know very well and I’m able to speak fluent English with. Her name is Lilo (picture above is of Lilo and me) and I want to ask if you would pray for her. Please pray she would keep drawing closer to Jesus Christ. She is a Sunday school teacher and also goes to school. She is a strong young woman and has been through a lot, but has learned from a lot of mistakes.  She is a beautiful daughter of God!
Today I had an awesome spanish moment!! I was helping this lady who works at the House of Hope and is like a mother to everyone, but she doesn't speak any English. It has been very difficult for me to communicate with her and often have felt discouraged. Though, today it was like God just spoke words out of my mouth and we were saying multiple, full sentences to each other in Spanish; I actually understood our conversation! Praise the Lord!!! This weekend I get to spend time with the Palacios family, whom my mother stayed with when she was down here. I am very excited to see them and build a stronger friendship with! I also get to visit their church, which is where my mother served at! Have I said how excited I am!!!??? Can’t wait to tell you all about the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. So excited for you, and I am glad you are building such strong friendships there. I will pray for Lilo and for you both to keep growing closer to God. Happy to hear about your communicating with the lady at House of Hope. God is so Good! Have fun this weekend with the Palacios, tell them Hi from Me, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Allison. That's so cool that God is overcoming your language barrier!!! And what a story Lilo has. Whew. It's a dark, dark thing to be without the hope of Christ. I know you will have a great weekend. Julianna loved the Palacios!!!

    ReplyDelete