Sunday, June 2, 2013


What a weekend! Saturday was very busy at the House of Hope. In the morning we had an activity with young students from a really nice school. We taught them how to cook some Chilean food, make bracelets and earrings the girls sell, and played games with them. We made 3 leche (milk) cake, braided underwear, and sweet bread! It was a lot of fun and I met some amazing people! Kelley, a mom of some students was one of those people; she helps out with the House of Hope and the interns. I was able to be very vulnerable with her about my homesickness and worries. She was very encouraging and told me she has already been planning my weekend schedules, which was one of my worries. I get to spend this coming weekend with her and her family! I am super excited for that and she is planning some weekends in July for me to stay with families from her church. Thank you Lord! After that high schoolers came from the same school that we met last weekend! It was a blessing to see them all again and get to know them better! Once everything got cleaned up, we had a girl’s night with some of the girls, Megan, and me. We made cookies, chatted, and laughed together! One of the girls I have gotten very close to at the House of Hope shared some exciting news with me…she has been praying to go to Africa for a long time on an intern/missions trip and yesterday found out that someone has paid for her to go! Praise the Lord!
Today is Megan’s last day so we are spending it together and tonight are going out with some girls and having a fun time! Don’t know what God has planned for us yet, but excited to see! Praise the Lord my parents got to their cruise ship safely! They deserve a trip like this, just the two of them! I am teaching an English class tomorrow evening with older adults attending it. It is really out of my comfort zone level because I am very comfortable teaching little children, but not adults older than me. Please be in prayer about that and that God would be glorified through it.
 In my quiet time today I read this and really needed it…needed His Peace about a situation and wanted to share it. “Peace comes in situations that are completely surrendered to the sovereign authority of Christ. Sometimes when we finally give up trying to discover all the answers to the whys in our lives and decide to trust our sovereign God, unexpected peace washes over us like a summer rain.”

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to be cooking up some Chilean food when you get back?

    I love what you wrote about peace. I heard on the radio this morning that peace is not the absence of something, it is the presence of something. It is not the absence of difficulty, it is the presence of Christ in the middle of it. May HE be your Prince of Peace today.

    Love and prayers from Steve and Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Kristi! God doesn't always choose to calm the storms around us. But when you are in Christ and He is in you, then His peace is present and more than enough. That is Truth - in Chile, in Iowa, on a cruise ship... :)

    ReplyDelete