Wednesday, June 19, 2013


This week at the school the students take tests for an hour each morning. I have had to observe the 8th graders testing alone quite a bit. I find it hilarious how once Tia Lucy leaves the room and leaves me in charge, they think they can cheat on their tests. Oh boy were they wrong today!! I caught a girl with numerous cheat sheets, another girl with answers written on her arm, and answers being spoken in Spanish many times that numbers can’t even count. Though, the funniest moment was when a student was asking me a question and I saw a girl whispering an answer to another girl in the back of the classroom; I just gave her the look while smiling and waving! She saw I caught her once again and she shook her head in disbelief. There will be no cheating in my classroom!
Tia Lucy and I had time to just chat together and she told me how tired and stressed she is. She has had numerous talks from the principal because her students are doing very poorly in their academics, half the class has been suspended for behavior, and her class has been accused of stealing from the school. I asked her if she still enjoys teaching and she replied, “Yes, but the students make it very difficult and stressful. What keeps me going is the love I have for the students and I believe in them.” It brought tears to my eyes to hear her say these things because I have seen these students treat her so disrespectful, but she loves them with the love of Christ. I admire her strength, courage, and kindness as a teacher. I have and am still learning so much from her. She is a blessing and needs a lot of prayer. Please keep praying for her health and strength.
(Above picture is the playground at the school) Tom Orme, the director of Vision for Chile, arrived today and is staying till Monday! It is a blessing to be able to talk with him in English about how I’m doing and just to chat about what God is doing! Proverbs 16:9 “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed, Allison... You are being transformed into the woman God has planned for you to be from before you were formed... He is teaching you so much through Tia Lucy & the students. And they will never be the same having you be a part of their lives this summer. Enjoy your time with Mr. Orme this weekend. You are often in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe students would try to cheat in your classroom......I'm sure your peripheral vision and those eyes in the back of your head, needed as a teacher, are being fine tuned! I hear Tom Orme is there this weekend? He is a great guy. We miss you, enjoy reading your blog, and we are all praying for you.

    "God will not forget your work and the love that you have shown Him in helping people" (Hebrews 6:10) BE ENCOURAGED

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FROM THE HOOVERS:
    My how you blessed our hearts with your sweet attitude towards your task as well as your spiritual growth during your quiet times with the Lord. We miss you , yet know that you are in the center of God's promise to us when we answer His call. See I Thess. 5:23-24 God is faithful to equip, strengthen, and provide for you as you do His work of ministry there. We pray daily for you and are excited to hear your testimony when you return. God bless you, we love you. Ian & Roberta Heb 13:5 along with Josh 1: 5-9

    ReplyDelete